February 14, 2006

Reflections on Mirrors

Today we will return to take another look at mirrors as we near the end of reflecting on ourselves. I am presenting a pair of shers that seem to have a connection with each other although they are by different shaayars, the first by इश्रत आफ़रीन and the second by काशिफ़ इन्दोरी. The second misraa in each sher reminds me of the American (perhaps English) saying that people who live in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones, meaning that people should not criticize other people for faults that they have themselves. There seem to be so many stones, however, that the mirrors (or glass houses) are in perpetual danger.


अपनी आग की ज़िन्दा रखना कितना मुश्किल है
पत्थर बीच आईना रखना कितना मुश्किल है
शायरा : इश्रत आफ़रीन


सामने दुनिया भर के ग़म हैं और इधर इक तन्हा हम हैं
सैकड़ों पत्थर और इक आईना कब तक आखिर आखिर कब तक

तन्हा = अकेला
शायर : काशिफ़ इन्दोरी

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You do have an amazing collection of shers.
Doesn’t the second sher mean
"before me is whole world's sorrow and here I am alone. How long can a single mirror survive, when there are thousands of stones"
I loved it.
How do I subscribe to the feeds from your blog. I did not find the link anywhere?

7:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home